Thursday, June 2, 2011

Life is good, but short

The past year has been an exercise in human emotional elasticity. From elation to devastation, if there is an emotion left to sample, I’ve not seen it. It’s left me pondering where I am, and how I can leave this world a better place.

Recently a high school acquaintance died unexpectedly. He was one of those young, healthy, and positive people that death snatches away with a snarl, leaving friends and family awash in disbelief and sadness.


In the wake of his passing, I’ve been re-evaluating my place in this world. I’m a mother, wife, daughter, and friend, but am I really doing my best at any of those? Am I doing my part to bring joy to those around me, or am I the one griping because gas is expensive, I’m unemployed, and my jeans don’t fit like they used to?


So, I re-drew my game plan. I took stock of my blessings and realized that yes, I'm doing okay, but could amp up my efforts. I owe it to those I love, and the world overall, to be a better person. But how do I do that?

My lifelong philosophy has been that at every opportunity, it's my duty to make someone's day better. Less fuss, more happiness. I'm not talking sappy, fake compliments or overcompensating by being extra super-duper helpful. But to be genuine. A compliment here, a helping hand there. Not because I HAVE to, but because I WANT to. Hold a door open, let someone merge in on the highway, say please and thank you.

I've tried to cultivate the ability to see good in most things. For example, we all encounter people who are crabby or unpleasant for what seems like no reason. Like the meme says, we never know what challenges each of us is facing on the inside. What may be easy to manage for me, may be overwhelming to another.  

The opposite is also true. I know I've been unintentionally beastly because something went wrong in my world: my car wouldn't start, the kids were out of control, someone I know was hurting and I couldn't help them, et al. I'm now more self-aware and do my best to maintain the vision that everyone is fighting a battle that we can't see (thank you again, Facebook inspirational quote posters). 

Here’s to a better me and hopefully, more joy to share with those I love.

5 comments:

Shockgrubz said...

Sorry for your loss. I'm glad something positive can come out of this with your self reflection.

Good luck to you!

Unknown said...

nice blog. keep it up

LOTL said...

I just joined this form of communication this morning and yours is the first I have read. Meant something to me, I too think I complain too much but God do I love my daugthers & grandchildren. I just can't seem to communicate to my girls that well, I say something and they always take it the wrong way - anything I say to my grandchildren gets me that "you don't know what it like to bring up children now look".

Ted D. Bear said...

I'm sorry for the loss, I think its hard to loose anyone you know ... especially one from your school

McQueeney family said...

How beautiful you wrote this, yes its sad when a friend dies, but then again they are going to the best place/home. You have explain how much you want to bring joy n love to all. I wish that I could write as well as you did. With lots of feelings etc. I enjoy reading your blogs and thanks for following mine. Love and God bless Gin