Friday, February 13, 2009

3-Day Weekend

Friday the 13th, Valentine's Day AND President's Day all rolled into one weekend? WOW! It's a holiday extravaganza! And the stores are going full tilt with sales. But, before you rush out and buy things you hadn't planned on buying, stop and ask yourself "do I really NEED this?"

I've been working on that query a lot lately, the whole "needs" versus "wants" quandry. I WANT another pair of Converse (purple), but I certainly don't need them. Bummer. I WANT new sheets and a bigger TV and cuter dishes and the list goes on. But, I don't truly NEED anything. I'm truly blessed, and for that I'm very thankful. Besides, replacing any of those things will only force me to get transition something that still has plenty of life left in it. Did you know that the majority of items in landfills are CLOTHING ITEMS? Not trash, not toxic waste, not back issues of magazines, but clothing and shoes! Ugh - think how those could be put to reuse or recycled instead. Great reason NOT TO SHOP in this article (my husband will be so proud of me for posting that!)

So, when the siren song of sales beckons this weekend, pause, and make a good decision. And don't forget to recycle or donate what you decide to jettison. And have a Happy 3-Day Weekend!

No comments: