Thursday, December 4, 2008

Best Ideas for Teacher Gifts??

They teach your children to navigate life, cultivate social skills, and basically, to tackle the world. Without them, our children would grow up half-full, never knowing the joy of alegbra or the revolutionary war. They are invaluable!! But, how to do say "THANK YOU!" without adding to a reluctantly growing collection of "Teachers Rule" coffee mugs, "A+ Teacher" keychains, and quaintly inscribed apple-shaped products? In the past, I've expressed my gratitude to our children's teachers with spa certificates, grocery and dining gift cards, cutesy trinkets, and things for the classroom. The kids have made special gifts, too. But what's most appreciated? Do teachers have nightmares about sweatshirts emblazoned with apples and chalkboard designs? Is homemade better than store bought?

Teachers - weigh in! What's the strangest gift you ever received? The most meaningful?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I used to be a teacher at a preschool and the weirdest gifts I received were:

1) an oven mit with an iron on transfer that read "We Love Miss Julie,"....please

2) a donation of a goose or some other random farm animal to the "Heifer Foundation" or something like that....that one was priceless, let me tell you,

and last, but not least

3) a refrigerator magnet of this woman's kids in a wagon....faaaaaantastic!

The most meaningful gifts aren't necessarily what some people would look at and say "that's really awesome," but I wouldn't trade them for the world. I'd say let the kids pick out the gifts. One of the sweetest gifts I've gotten was a blue, glass-bead bracelet from a little boy, who picked it out for me because he knew that that was my favorite color. On a side note, my refrigerator is covered with notes that kids have written me or pictures they've drawn for me.

I know this is long, but I hope it helps!
Sincerely,
~Me

Anonymous said...

The gift that I cherish most was from my “1st” Second Grade Class. The parents all got together and bought a small hanging sign that says “Welcome to Our Class.” The back was signed by all 16 of my students and there was a card signed by the parents. It is still hanging in my classroom today.

The gift that I appreciated the most was a Honeymoon package for my new wife and I, also provided by that same set of parents. Let me tell you that I have had many classes and hundreds of students since then, but I remember each and every one of those “1st” students.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.