Friday, October 23, 2009

Where Did It Go?

I was up to my eyeballs in closet cleaning recently and came across a box of saved school work from my big girls, K and M. Artwork, spelling tests, and creative writing assignments were mixed in with the report cards and field trip fliers. The little kid handwriting, with its grammatical training wheels and misspelled words, brought little misty tears. 

Forgetting the self-inflicted pile of closet debris around me, I stepped into my personal time machine and took off.

K's "All About Me" poster was eerily foretelling. And M's birthday party pics captured her glee with ease. Time flies is truly the most accurate statement ever uttered. How could my precious little people, my motherhood guinea pigs, be all grown up now and out on their own? With ballet recitals and soccer games, cheerleading and SkillsUSA checked off on their TO DO lists, where did I fit into their world now? My heart ached and my eyes grew a bit more than misty. (I'm not crying, you're crying.) 

I took a moment, then carefully placed the papers and drawings and photos back in the box, checking to make sure no edges were bent or 3D art masterpieces crushed. Then I pushed it back into the closet and headed downstairs. 

My two youngest babies were playing Star Wars Legos in the front room and suddenly needed big hugs. Or was that me?

No comments: